The Assistant Superintendent must be able to both perform construction work and lead other employees and subcontractors in doing quality project work. Responsibilities include assisting the Superintendent in the completion of the project by ensuring the job is on schedule, within budget and ensuring employees are performing the work safely. Maintain strong working relationships with the team, owners, consultants, and subcontractors. May run certain jobs including: smaller projects, start or finish jobs or run certain scopes of work.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, the employee must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily and in a timely manner. The following duties are representative of the job but are not all inclusive and other duties may be assigned as needed.
- Act as a steward of Pence culture – Who We Are
- Uphold and communicate Pence safety standards
- Proactive, self-starting, self-managing
- Takes ownership for the project
- Behaves in a manner that sets a positive example for others to follow
- Makes day to day decisions that enhance profitability without sacrificing our values or relationships
- Grow and mentor Project Engineers, Interns and others reporting to this position
- Responsible for mitigating and reporting project risk
- Follow all policies and procedures and assure others do as well
- Participates in meetings and committees
- Assists the Superintendent with daily on-site supervision and inspection of work.
- Helps subcontractors with problem solving relating to day to day jobsite issues.
- Helps to guide the subcontractors work to ensure flow and coordination under the supervision of the Superintendent.
- Verifies all work performed on site is per the approved plans and specifications.
- Responsible for assisting Superintendent in authoring all daily reports by providing daily man counts and work flow notes.
- Responsible for reporting all job site progress to Superintendent daily so accurate schedules can be maintained.
- Anticipates delays in scheduling and reports to Superintendent.
- Assists in managing material on site to keep the site orderly.
- Keep the job site clean and immediately report any subcontractor that is not maintaining a clean and safe work environment.
- Responsible for monitoring misuse, damage, and theft on job site and field offices.
- Communicates clear expectations with subcontractors.
- Attends weekly subcontractor meetings to review schedule, resolve conflicts, and provide weekly safety meetings
- Attend pre-construction meetings with subcontractors to review scope of work, submittals, schedule, and logistics.
- Assist with scheduling of deliveries, site security, and staging of materials.
- Ensures material deliveries are on time and correct.
- Responsible for creating a positive working environment for all site personnel.
- Responsible for fostering a cooperative effort among subcontractors.
- Responsible for all subcontractor scope of work compliance and quality control. Immediately reports any deviation.
- Documents, in writing and with photos all trade damage to other’s work. Provides a weekly report to Superintendent and Project Manager of all trade damage, including photos.
- Assist the Superintendent with scheduling and walking inspections
- Assist Superintendent in managing code compliance, liability, and risk for all construction operations.
- Responsible for adhering to all Pence safety requirements, OSHA, and Environmental regulations and maintaining a safe job site at all times.
- Manages pre-client punch walks.
- Manage client punch walks and work with subcontractors to manage punch list quickly & efficiently.
- Perform assignments independently.
- Provides Superintendent with timely and accurate project information to effectively communicate with owner representative.
- Work hands-on with tools if needed.
- Perform layout.
- Keeps updated records of progress relating to scheduling, cost, and budget.
- Quickly resolves problems and personnel conflicts on the jobsite.
- Assists in any additional duties as requested by the Superintendent.
- Run work such as small jobs, certain scopes or start or finish jobs.
- Any and all other duties as assigned.
The following qualifications are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities needed to perform the job but are not all inclusive.
- Preferred to have at least 6 years of experience in the construction industry.
- 3 years of experience as a Foreman or Sr. Field Engineer preferred.
- Computer literate with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word)
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent management and leadership skills.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Able to work within tight deadlines and stressful situations.
- Strong organization/time management skills
- Ability to understand plan specifications, scopes of work, and other necessary construction documents to ensure job is completed as expected
- Can work independently and collaboratively in a team environment
- Advanced critical thinking and judgment skills
- Must have, or complete within six months of hire, CPR and first aid certifications and OSHA 30 training.
- Must be available to work flexible hours. Work hours will be consistent with an Assistant Superintendent in the construction industry.
- Minimum of 1 years’ experience with construction software platforms
Works on job sites where work is done in a job trailer or outside in a construction environment. Will be exposed to weather, dirt/dust, loud noise, and is required to wear personal protective equipment. Is required to lift 40 lbs regularly and 80 lbs occasionally. May occasionally be in a typical office environment but rare. Must be able to work for periods of time in front of a computer.
CONCRETE EXCELLENCE IN OREGON
Founded by Roy Pence and Dale Pence in 1949, Pence/Kelly Concrete, LLC is dedicated to the fundamental principles of honesty and hard work. For six decades our team has been anchored in Salem, Oregon, providing the Pacific Northwest with the best in structural concrete excellence. The company’s leadership team is comprised of Dave Hays, President and Paul Schulz, Partner.
Pence/Kelly’s expertise in structural concrete work spans the construction industry spectrum, from small tilt-up or foundation packages to multi-million dollar elevated structures. Our team has built both simple warehouses and complicated research facilities. We have exceeded client expectations for excellence in concrete throughout California, Oregon, Washington and Alaska.