Upcoming Project need for 2021. The Superintendent has comprehensive knowledge of all types of commercial construction and supervises complex projects and/or multiple projects. The Superintendent is responsible for scheduling and coordinating all onsite activities for the project assuring the project is on time, within budget, and to the quality specified.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, the employee must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily and in a timely manner. The following duties are representative of the job but are not all inclusive and other duties may be assigned as needed.
- Act as a steward of Pence culture – Who We Are
- Uphold and communicate Pence safety standards
- Proactive, self-starting, self-managing
- Takes ownership for the project
- Behaves in a manner that sets a positive example for others to follow
- Makes day to day decisions that enhance profitability without sacrificing our values or relationships
- Grow and mentor Assistant Superintendents, Project Engineers, Interns and others reporting to this position
- Responsible for mitigating and reporting project risk
- Follow all policies and procedures and assure others do as well
- Participates in meetings and committees
- Act as the Company’s onsite representative.
- In collaboration with the Project Manager (PM), ensure that all phases of construction. are completed on time, within budget and within company guidelines.
- Review and understand Owner, Contractor, and Subcontractor contracts.
- Monitor jobsite personnel’s adherence to established policies, practices and procedures.
- Pre-job orientation with subcontractors and employees.
- Responsible for coordination of self-preformed work, subcontractors, material suppliers, inspectors, testing labs and others to fulfill the requirements of the schedule.
- Take corrective action when needed by way of written notice – non-conformance, correction notice, deviation, in conjunction with Project Manager.
- Facilitate weekly subcontractor meetings
- Attend Owner, Contractor, and Subcontractor meetings as required.
- Supervise Assistant Superintendent and/or Foremen and assist them in their development of short-range operational plans.
- Evaluate effectiveness of each operation for quality and productivity.
- Track labor productivity as required for self-preformed work.
- Track concrete yardage and placement as required.
- Responsible to properly document all aspects of the work daily via job site reports.
- Prepare written correspondence to protect the company’s interests in both proactive and defensive manners.
- Complete/approve time cards.
- Assure all new jobsite personnel understand company policies, safety practices and requirements, working hours, etc.
- Produce site specific safety plan and fall protection plan.
- Responsible for all aspects of jobsite safety including daily safety checks and weekly safety meetings.
- Completes all necessary inspections.
- Ensures that all applicable safety codes and requirements are adhered to.
- Responsible to maintain adequate levels of jobsite security.
- Maintain a safe work site by implementing good housekeeping regulations and safety requirements, enforcing safe work habits and observing all safety rules and regulations.
- Be aware of ever changing applicable building code and safety regulations.
- Develop and enforce job schedule.
- Schedule all involved trades on-site as well as off-site for each phase of construction.
- Plan and coordinate the sequence of work.
- Prepare three-week look-ahead schedule and provide weekly updates to Project Manager, subcontractors and suppliers.
- Track schedule delays.
- Develop and update concrete pour plan as required.
- Determine staffing needs (timing and types of labor) and initiate requests for field hires.
- Source, screen and recommend for hire field labor.
- Notify PM of critical path items in order to determine priorities to maintain schedule.
- Ensure all certificates and final inspections have been obtained prior to project close out.
- Assist PM with project close-out and final documentation.
- Assist in budgeting, bidding, and award of subcontracts.
- Conduct detailed inspections after each trade has completed its tasks and before any work is authorized for payment.
- Follow Company’s purchasing procedures while ordering or receiving any needed material and equipment within delegated authority.
- Verify that vendor purchase orders are on-site and that procured material is properly accounted for, inventoried and secured.
- Review and ensure deliveries/invoices are timely and accurate.
- Monitor project costs, making adjustments as needed.
- Continually review construction documents for coordination issues prior to delivery of materials for installation.
- Review construction plans and scopes of work to confirm all work is contracted and properly coordinated.
- Opening the jobsite at beginning of the day and securing the jobsite at the end of the day
- Assist in obtaining permits.
- Shop drawing and submittal Review.
- In collaboration with PM, maintain and oversee as-builts and plan updates.
- Develop coordination/placement drawings as required for self-preformed work.
- Coordinate formwork design and placement.
- Identify plan discrepancies and timely communicate potential problems to the PM.
- Exercise discretion and creativity in resolving construction discrepancies.
- Perform exterior envelope review, inspection and leak prevention
- Create site logistics plan and coordinate staging area on jobsite
- Maintain and monitor project cleanliness and hold the subcontractors responsible for daily clean-up.
- Perform and execute jobsite setup including requisition of temporary trailer, utilities, storage units, fencing and other necessary jobsite facilities.
- Achieve quality work and owner satisfaction through effective construction management.
- Oversee QA/QC programs and duties.
- Verify quality of work performed by subcontractors and field labor.
- Create punch-list for subcontractors and suppliers. Ensure all punch-list work is complete and acceptable.
- Oversee each stage of project and communicate regularly with all necessary parties to keep team apprised of construction progress and associated issues or problems that may affect progress.
- Establish and maintain contact with appropriate city officials and inspectors as needed and verify that city final is complete and passed by the city inspector.
- Responsible for accurate and timely completion of all company required paperwork such as jobsite inspections, incident reports, RFI’s and safety checklists.
- Document “as-built” changes in construction documents and coordinate with subcontractors and suppliers.
Any and all other duties as assigned.
The following qualifications are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities needed to perform the job but are not all inclusive.
- Preferred 10 or more years of field construction experience.
- Preferred 5 or more years in a supervisory capacity.
- Strong understanding of and ability to use P6 scheduling software.
- Thorough understanding of building construction, means and methods, scheduling and cost control procedures, general contract, general conditions, subcontract documents, drawings and specifications.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to write thorough, complete and timely reports and business correspondence and effectively communicate ideas and concepts.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret all necessary construction plans, blueprints and documents.
- Advanced critical thinking and judgment skills.
- Strong organization/time management skills.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills.
- Proficient computer skills and a familiarity with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Must have, or complete within six months of hire, CPR and first aid certifications and OSHA 30 training.
- Must be available to work flexible hours. Work hours will be consistent with a Superintendent in the construction industry.
- Can work independently and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Minimum of 1 years’ experience with construction software platforms.
Works on job sites where work is done in a job trailer or outside in a construction environment. Will be exposed to weather, dirt/dust, loud noise, and is required to wear personal protective equipment. Is required to lift 40 lbs regularly and 80 lbs occasionally. May occasionally be in a typical office environment but rare. Must be able to work for periods of time in front of a computer.
Share this job post...
CONCRETE EXCELLENCE IN OREGON
Founded by Roy Pence and Dale Pence in 1949, Pence/Kelly Concrete, LLC is dedicated to the fundamental principles of honesty and hard work. For six decades our team has been anchored in Salem, Oregon, providing the Pacific Northwest with the best in structural concrete excellence. The company’s leadership team is comprised of Dave Hays, President and Paul Schulz, Partner.
Pence/Kelly’s expertise in structural concrete work spans the construction industry spectrum, from small tilt-up or foundation packages to multi-million dollar elevated structures. Our team has built both simple warehouses and complicated research facilities. We have exceeded client expectations for excellence in concrete throughout California, Oregon, Washington and Alaska.