The Project Engineer (PE) is responsible for assisting the projects teams with obtaining, evaluating, coordinating and distributing the information and authorizations needed to construct projects on time, within budget, safely, and with quality in partnership with the project team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, the employee must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily and in a timely manner. The following duties are representative of the job but are not all inclusive and other duties may be assigned as needed.
- Act as a steward of Pence culture – Who We Are
- Uphold and communicate Pence safety standards
- Proactive, self-starting, self-managing
- Takes ownership for the project
- Behaves in a manner that sets a positive example for others to follow
- Makes day to day decisions that enhance profitability without sacrificing our values or relationships
- Grow and mentor Project Assistants, Interns and fellow Project Engineers
- Responsible for mitigating and reporting project risk
- Follow all policies and procedures and assure others do as well
- Participates in meetings and committees
Field Management Duties
- Working knowledge of the contract documents including all drawings and specifications
- Clearly communicates and uses a collaborative approach so information is shared between relevant teams and trades.
- Participate in jobsite safety obligations including safety meetings, walks, and other related tasks.
- Builds effective relationships with customers, design team, subcontractors, suppliers, and user groups that reflect and support company core values and meets and exceeds the project’s expectations.
- Organize and complete job site filing.
- Enter timecard data.
- Take and record/save job site photographs.
- Review and maintain as-builts.
- Assist with project meetings including taking and distributing meeting minutes.
- Produce daily reports.
- Track labor productivity.
- Assist project team with shop drawing and submittal review.
- Produce placement drawings for self-preform crews.
- Assist project team with development and enforcement of project schedule.
- Misc. field quality assurance and quality controls tasks as assigned by the project team (i.e. field measurement verification, erosion control review, envelope review and documentation, pre-cover verification and documentation, etc.)
- Assist / manage project closeout (i.e. securing final jurisdictional approvals, punch list, owner training, final cleaning, closeout documentation, etc.)
- Responsible for managing, maintaining, coordinating, organizing, tracking, updating, and/or expediting the flow of project information as required.
- Assists Project Manager (PM) with change management process tracking and mitigating all cost liabilities.
- Assist Project Manager with constructing project budget.
- Assist Project Manager with project forecasting/project reviews.
- Assist Project Manager with project invoicing, both subcontractor/supplier and owner billing.
- Manage submittal process to ensure conformance to the contract documents and timely procurement of materials so as to maintain quality and schedule.
- Manage RFI process, reviewing all RFI’s for potential cost / schedule impacts and mitigating those liabilities accordingly in concert with the project team.
- Work with project team to prepare scope of work instructions, technical requirements and bid packages for subcontractor and vendor items.
- Aid in obtaining competitive pricing.
- Develop and maintain relationships with sub-contractors and clients.
- Support project team with quantity take offs and estimating.
- Resolves cost discrepancies by collecting and analyzing information.
- Assemble accurate and well-organized estimates and proposals.
- Organize sub-contractor’s quotations and insure quotes meet contract documents.
Contract and Scope
- Assists Project Manager to prepare subcontractor and vendor scopes of work.
- Produce Contract exhibits.
- Assist Project Manager in review of Owner Contracts.
- Draft SPO, SPO-PO and Master Agreement requests at the direction of the Project Manager.
- Assure accuracy and appropriateness of contract text and Exhibits.
- Ensure contracts and proposals are properly entered and organized.
- Ensure Subcontractor and Vendor are compliant.
Any and all other duties as assigned.
The following qualifications are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities needed to perform the job but are not all inclusive.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Construction Engineering Management or similar degree
- At least 2 years of applicable construction experience preferred
- Experience with construction software platforms preferred
- Computer literate with excellent Microsoft Office skills (Excel, Outlook, Word)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, detail-oriented
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Understanding of plans and schematics
- Can work independently and collaboratively in a team environment
- Advanced critical thinking and judgment skills
- Must have, or complete within six months of hire, CPR and first aid certifications and OSHA 10 training.
- Must be available to work flexible hours. Work hours will be consistent with a Project Engineer in the construction industry.
Works occasionally in a typical office environment but spends majority of time on job sites where work is done in a job trailer or outside in a construction environment. May be exposed to weather, dirt/dust, loud noise, and may be required to wear personal protective equipment. Is required to lift 25lbs regularly and 50lbs occasionally. Must be able to work for long periods of time in front of a computer.
Share this job post...
CONCRETE EXCELLENCE IN OREGON
Founded by Roy Pence and Dale Pence in 1949, Pence/Kelly Concrete, LLC is dedicated to the fundamental principles of honesty and hard work. For six decades our team has been anchored in Salem, Oregon, providing the Pacific Northwest with the best in structural concrete excellence. The company’s leadership team is comprised of Dave Hays, President and Paul Schulz, Partner.
Pence/Kelly’s expertise in structural concrete work spans the construction industry spectrum, from small tilt-up or foundation packages to multi-million dollar elevated structures. Our team has built both simple warehouses and complicated research facilities. We have exceeded client expectations for excellence in concrete throughout California, Oregon, Washington and Alaska.