The Estimator evaluates bid documents, drawings, plans, and specifications, ensuring that we have the information required for a successful bid and project win. The Estimator will work effectively with their team to ensure bidding timelines are met. Through successful and reliable bids, the Estimator helps build Owner, Contractor, and Subcontractor relationships that are positive, long term relationships.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, the employee must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily and in a timely manner. The following duties are representative of the job but are not all inclusive and other duties may be assigned as needed.
- Understand and evaluate all bid documents and proposal requirements.
- Have an understanding of drawings, plans, specifications, scopes of work, and other necessary construction documents to ensure a complete and thorough estimate.
- Compile an organized, accurate, concise takeoff.
- Perform small estimates.
- Perform specification review and identify cost for materials and processes specified.
- Development of accurate and concise bid clarifications and assumptions related to the scope of work.
- Show creativity and resourcefulness to gain better pricing from subcontractors.
- Organize the work, plan, prioritize and manage multiple tasks and projects.
- Assist with pre-construction services including preliminary budgets, cost analysis, value engineering ideas and cost reduction techniques.
- Submission of bids and budgets by the bid deadline.
- Solicit and maintain communication with subcontractors and vendors.
- Work independently on projects and with other team members.
- Communicate effectively in writing and verbally with team and others involved in the estimating process.
- Partner with project teams to ensure project start up requirements are met.
The following qualifications are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities needed to perform the job but are not all inclusive.
- BS in Construction science, Architectural, Civil Engineering or equivalent
- Zero to three years of estimating experience in the construction industry preferred, but not required
- Ability to read and understand drawings and specifications
- Exceptional communication & interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work both as a team player and independently
- Must be able to work in a timely and efficient manner with a strong attention to detail.
- Ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality at all times
- Excellent organizational & time management skills
Works primarily in an office environment but may occasionally be required to visit job sites where work is done outside or in a construction environment. May be exposed to weather, dirt/dust, loud noise, and may be required to wear personal protective equipment. Employee must be able to lift 10 lbs regularly and 25 lbs occasionally. Regular attendance is required to perform the job satisfactorily.
Share this job post...
CONCRETE EXCELLENCE IN OREGON
Founded by Roy Pence and Dale Pence in 1949, Pence/Kelly Concrete, LLC is dedicated to the fundamental principles of honesty and hard work. For six decades our team has been anchored in Salem, Oregon, providing the Pacific Northwest with the best in structural concrete excellence. The company’s leadership team is comprised of Dave Hays, President and Paul Schulz, Partner.
Pence/Kelly’s expertise in structural concrete work spans the construction industry spectrum, from small tilt-up or foundation packages to multi-million dollar elevated structures. Our team has built both simple warehouses and complicated research facilities. We have exceeded client expectations for excellence in concrete throughout California, Oregon, Washington and Alaska.